5/14/07

Japanese Natto and DIET COKE "Combo"!

Update: I replaced the Diet Coke by Chinese Tea

I like Japanese Natto because it is practical and easy to get it ready to eat, it is convenient and it is a healthy source of energy. It comes in a handy package with a small pouch of bonito fish flavored soy sauce and mustard (as seen in the picture). The packet contains 3 packages and it's cheap: about 1 US $ per packet.
Many people dislike Natto very much. They say that it smells and tastes bad. However, these same people seem to like Korean Kimchi a lot. Natto is fermented soybeans. Kimchi is fermented vegetables. So what's the big deal? They are both fermented and both smell bad. Afterall, what are these people thinking? Do they really think that their crap doesn't stink?


Package of Natto, including Bonito flavor sauce and mustard
95 calories, 45 calories from fat

Can of Diet Coke
Less than 1 calorie. Sugar Free

Total approx: 96 calories

Variation: As described by Taro, I tried natto with rice vinegar and chili pepper. I think it is very important to mix the right amount of rice vinegar and chili pepper (the vinegar is crucial). I have tried to make this several times but yet I do not find the right amount of vinegar to put.

Here is a link to Taro´s blog, a very interesting blog about food in Japan.

Diet Modifications in Japan by Taro

4 comments:

Taro said...

I think there are a few people like Natto in overseas as you say.
Have you ever try to add vinegar and a little bit chili to Natto? It's my favorite way to eat Natto.

Hugo said...

Hello Taro. Thank you for your suggestion. What kind of vinegar do you recommend? I added Japanese chili pepper.. but instead of making it better, I thought it was worse. In any case, I enjoy eating natto. Here in China, JUSCO supermarkets does an outstanding job trying to promote natto among customers. Often they give it away and have a person explaining what it is and how to eat it. Amazing, isn't it?

Taro said...

Hi, I'v heard that Jusco or some Japanese invested super mall promoted natto for young ladies who wants to be on a diet in Taiwan but they couldn't last.. In China, I hope guys understand how natto is good for their health and expand. I don't know very well about vinegar but I always add vinegar that made of rice(NOT red wine vinegar) and Japanese dried chili pepper("Shichimi",in the small bottle with red cap). I ate Natto made of black beans(I don't know exact name but not soy bean)on my breakfast, I will update it soon at my blog. I love it!

Hugo said...

Maybe here in China, they will not last either. But I know that Guangdong people are very receptive of natto. You may be right about the diet, because I have seen many girls buying natto. I hope they continue to sell natto because I really like it.